What Was the Purpose of Stonehenge?
In this second article we will explore the use of Stonehenge as a calender from another perspective. The purpose of Stonehenge has always been a mystery. The strange orientation of the monument in regard to the cardinals makes no sense, because the monument contains so many redundant stones. The scale of this megalithic structure leaves not a single doubt of its importance. But for what?
Was Stonehenge a calender? Or a temple? But how did it work? Is the contemporary alignment of the symmetry axis towards the Summer solstice a play of mother Nature?
In this previous article some aspects of Stonehenge’s alleged solstice orientation are explained. It’s also argued in this previous article that the monument was oriented to another geographical pole, pole IV. This pole is between 240,000 and 270,000 years old.
The symmetry axis of Stonehenge was exactly perpendicular to the position of pole IV. The chances for this to happen accidentally is 20%. So, there’s obviously a possibility that this claim is entirely wrong.
But what happens when we actually continue to built on this outrageous claim? Will it make the monument work as a calender?
Step 4 – Was Stonehenge a Very Ancient Calender?
If it is true that Stonehenge was really built at the time that the geographic North pole was at the location marked as pole IV, it would mean that it was situated at another latitude: 63.3°N instead of 51.2°N today.
That would change three major things:
- the symmetry axis (explained in previous article) of Stonehenge was oriented towards another cardinal system and therefore to a very ancient true East-West cardinal. Stonehenge’s horseshoe would be oriented like a sun catcher to the Equinox, and so ultimately symmetrical to both Summer and Winter solstices.
- the solstice angles were completely different because the latitude was different,
- the tilt angle of the Earth varied between 240,000 and 270,000 years ago, which influenced the solstices as well.
Pole IV, noted with the red dot (fig. 3), was stable at the position 64.0°N, 47.1°W between 240,000 and 270,000 years ago.
I know this article might be awfully difficult for many of my readers, but we have to go through this if you want to understand the full truth behind our ancient history. And that is a very difficult quest, which is ultimately a mathematical quest.
On the question, whether Stonehenge was an ancient calender, is the answer: Yes. It was a very sophisticated calender. But we have to overcome some serious problems first.
If Stonehenge would be oriented towards Pole IV its symmetry axis would be ultimately oriented towards an ancient Equinox.
Step 5 – Putting Everything Into Another Perspective
Like already argued in the previous article, the odds for Stonehenge to correlate purposely with one of the former geographical poles is 80%. That’s not spectacularly high, but it’s a good enough basis to investigate.
But, of course, the almost matching orientation of Stonehenge towards the current Summer solstice is spectacularly higher, about 99.3%.
That’s why the basis for the idea that Stonehenge once was oriented, firstly to another cardinal system, and secondly would be amazingly older than believed might be received with disbelieve. That’s perfectly understandable. But that doesn’t change the fact that up to this day no one has been able to explain how the monument worked and that Stonehenge has many redundant stones for only one solstice, the Summer solstice.
What if I say that this almost matching orientation towards the Summer solstice is a play of mother Nature?
Why is that? Because the monument obviously doesn’t work. Be honest, like already said, have you ever seen one idea about Stonehenge that really made sense? Why so much effort for so many obsolete stones, done in a time when manpower was one of the most valuable assets. Wouldn’t that contradict all logic?
Below (fig. 5) you find the formula to calculate the solstice angles for any location on Earth during any tilt angle of the spin axis. You will see how important it is to get a grasp of this kind of mathematics, which is mainly the terrain of experts.
Step 6 – Setting the Initial Data
Since we can only say, at this stage, that Stonehenge corresponds to pole IV, we can find the corresponding values for that, which you find in the table below. Because pole IV was stable between 240,000 and 270,000 years ago the tilt of the Earth varied quite a bit and so the resulting solstice angles.
|Location pole IV||64.0N, 47.1W|
|Distance Stonehenge to Pole IV||2,974 km|
|Latitude Stonehenge (pole IV)||63.3N|
|Tilt Earth (220-270ky ago)||22.6°-24.4°|
How the Tilt Angle Varied
Step 7 – Calculating the Limits of the Solstices
By using the solstice formula we can calculate the values of the solstices for both extreme tilt angles.
|Solstice angle tilt 22.6°||58.8°|
|Solstice angle tilt 24.4°||66.8°|
Step 8 – Examining Stonehenge’s Arrangement Pole IV
The Only Angle That Fits
Step 9 – Finding the Most Probable Age for Stonehenge
As you can see in the graph above there are two moments during a stable pole IV (240ky-270ky ago). One is at -240 and the other at -265. It is highly unlikely that Stonehenge would be built at the end of a 30,000 years during period. It is therefore more likely that it was built 265,000 years ago.
The crust, after being on a rough ride for 65,000 years, stabilized at the position of Pole IV, 270,000 years ago. It took still 5,000 years before the monument was built during this period of blossom.
Step 10 – The Probabilities of the Claim
As explained in the previous article, there is 20% chance for Stonehenge’s symmetry axis to correlate accidentally with one of the poles I to V, hence there’s 80% chance it was done on purpose. But there is only one pole where Stonehenge clearly correlates with, which is pole IV. Because of this reason we’ve researched the whole constellation based upon pole IV. What we found was beyond anything we expected.
It is therefore legitimate to say that if, the reorientation of the symmetry axis to another very ancient pole, would lead to a more credible explanation as to how the monument worked, the whole outrageous idea that Stonehenge would be oriented to Pole IV, and therefore very old, suddenly doesn’t sound so crazy anymore. But how large are the odds that the claim might be true?
If we look at the horseshoe shaped inner arrangement we can fairly easy see there’s only one way to make this part of the monument to work for the:
- Summer solstice,
- Winter solstice and
The odds for this accidentally to happen are very small. The margins for the Sun to shine through the slits A-A’ and B-B’ are incredibly narrow, only 0.05°. This 0.05° is the necessary margin to measure a solstice up to one day.
Of all possibilities is this amazingly narrow fit exclusively related to Pole IV. The chances that this is mere coincidence are very small: 1 to 6.7 million or 0.0000149%. The probability it was done on purpose: 99.999985%.
We can therefore confirm that Stonehenge is actually between 240,000 and 270,000 years old with a probability of 99.999985%, which outmatches any other estimations and explanations of the purpose of the monument. This is amazingly old.
That it is hard for us to believe or even grasp that Stonehenge could be so amazingly old is another matter, which has to do with our conditioning and believe systems. Most people are bad in mathematics but good in pounding apparently untrue information into their brains.
It’s also crucial to grasp that the monument does NOT work anymore, although it’s still there.
New Answers Also Generate New Questions
Monuments like this appear to last much longer than we believe. This age raises also many questions like, why is it not buried with thick layers of soil? That might have to do with the continuous stream of visitors who went to the monument over the many millenniums. Besides, finding new answers also generate new questions.
In mathematics has the angle of 60° (and 30°) special properties. For example the cosine of 60° equals ½, and the sinus of 60° equals ½√3. This solstice angle of 60° occurred only once in history at this specific location. What was their message? Did they leave us such a monument to back engineer our true history? Did they know our history would be obscured so badly?
When the geographic pole was at position IV, it was at the South tip of Greenland, which led to the first formations of the Greenland ice sheet. It must have been cold at the time Stonehenge was built there, comparable with the middle of Scandinavia – mild Summers, cold Winters.
Full Explanation of the Purpose of Stonehenge
© 2017 by Mario Buildreps
: There might be doubt about the angle of 0.05°, and that is fully understandable, because it is indeed amazingly narrow. When we look from the middle of A’ towards A of from B’ towards B or vice versa (sunset) we can distinguish subtleties within a range of 0.05°.
: The probability calculations are based on: (1) matching symmetry with Pole IV; (2) matching arrangement of 5 trilithons + 1 heelstone with solstice angles and the equinox; (3) the matching distance from Stonehenge to the center of Pole IV within a range of 38.8 degrees; (4) the narrow slit of the 4 solstice trilithons to match at one day accurately within the configuration (1) to (3); (5) the only configuration to make the horseshoe to work for both solstices and the equinox. The odds that something is done on purpose and therefore true are: 100% – product of coincidences.