What Was the Purpose of Stonehenge?
In this second article, we will explore the use of Stonehenge as a calendar from another perspective. The purpose of Stonehenge has always been a mystery. The strange orientation of the monument with respect to the cardinals makes no sense because the monument contains so many redundant stones. The scale of this megalithic structure leaves not a single doubt of its importance. But for what?
Was Stonehenge a calendar? Or a temple? But how did it work? Is the contemporary alignment of the symmetry axis towards the Summer solstice a play of Mother Nature?
In our previous article, some aspects of Stonehenge’s alleged solstice orientation are explained. We also affirmed in this previous article that the monument was oriented to another geographical pole, namely pole IV. This pole is between 240,000 and 270,000 years old.
The symmetry axis of Stonehenge was exactly perpendicular to the position of pole IV. The chances for this to happen accidentally is 20%. So, here is obviously a possibility that our claim is entirely wrong.
But what happens when we continue to build on this outrageous claim? Will it reveal the Stonehenge edifice as a calendar?
Step 4 – Was Stonehenge a Very Ancient Calendar?
If it is true that Stonehenge was built at the time when the geographic North pole was at the location marked as pole IV, it would mean that it was situated at another latitude: 63.3°N instead of 51.2°N today.
That would change three major items:
- the symmetry axis (explained in our previous article) of Stonehenge was oriented towards another cardinal system and therefore to a very ancient true East-West cardinal. Stonehenge’s horseshoe would be oriented like a Sun catcher to the Equinox, and thereby be ultimately symmetrical to both Summer and Winter solstices
- the solstice angles were completely different because the latitude was different
- the tilt angle of the Earth varied between 240,000 and 270,000 years ago, which also influenced the solstices.
Pole IV, noted with the red dot (fig. 3), was stable at the position 64.0°N, 47.1°W between 240,000 and 270,000 years ago.
It is possible that this article is somewhat difficult to understand for many of our readers, but we must thoroughly explain this if we want to fully expose the truth of our ancient history. That is a very difficult quest, and ultimately it is a mathematical quest.
Concerning the question of whether or not Stonehenge was an ancient calendar: the answer is Yes.
It was a very sophisticated calendar. But we must overcome some serious considerations first.
Step 5 – Focus from Another Perspective
As we already explained in our previous article, the odds for Stonehenge to correlate purposely with one of the former geographical poles is 80%. That may not be spectacularly high, but it is a good enough basis to continue investigating.
But, we admit, the almost-matching orientation of Stonehenge towards the current Summer solstice is much higher, about 99.3%.
That is why it is understandable if we are challenged by affirming the accuracy of our idea that Stonehenge was originally oriented to another cardinal system and is therefore amazingly older than believed by Academia.
This, however, that does not change the fact that up to now no one has been able to explain how the monument worked and that Stonehenge has many redundant stones for only one solstice, the Summer solstice.
What if we argue that this almost-matching orientation towards the Summer solstice might only be a play of Mother Nature – a coincidence?
Why do we say that? Because Stonehenge obviously does not work. Have you ever seen one idea about Stonehenge that really made sense? So far, nobody has adequately explained why the ancient builders made such a herculean effort for so many “obsolete” stones, done at a time when workforce was a very valuable asset. Would that not contradict all logic?
Below (fig. 5) you find the formula to calculate the solstice angles for any location on Earth during any tilt angle of the spin axis. You will see how important it is to get a grasp of this kind of mathematics, which is mainly the domain of experts.
Step 6 – Compiling the Initial Data
Since we can only stipulate, at this stage, that Stonehenge’s orientation corresponded to pole IV, we can compile the corresponding values into the table shown below. Because pole IV was stable between 240,000 and 270,000 years ago, the tilt of the Earth was also much different, and so were the resulting solstice angles.
|Location pole IV||64.0N, 47.1W|
|Distance Stonehenge to Pole IV||2,974 km|
|Latitude Stonehenge (pole IV)||63.3N|
|Tilt Earth (220-270ky ago)||22.6°-24.4°|
How the Tilt Angle Varied
Step 7 – Calculating the Limits of the Solstices
By using the solstice formula, we can calculate the values of the solstices for both extreme tilt angles.
|Solstice angle tilt 22.6°||58.8°|
|Solstice angle tilt 24.4°||66.8°|
Step 8 – Examining Stonehenge’s Configuration for Pole IV
The Only Angle That Fits
Step 9 – Finding the Most Probable Age for Stonehenge
As you can see in the graph above, there are two moments during a stable pole IV (240ky-270ky ago). One is at -240 and the other at -265. It is highly unlikely that Stonehenge would be built at the end of a 30,000-year period. It is, therefore, more likely that it was built 265,000 years ago.
The crust, after having been on a rough ride for 65,000 years, stabilized at the trough position of Pole IV, 270,000 years ago. It took another 5,000 years before the monument was built during this period of relative tranquility.
Step 10 – The Probabilities of the Claim
As explained in our previous article, there is a 20% chance for Stonehenge’s symmetry axis to correlate unintendedly with one of the poles I to V, hence there is an 80% chance it was done on purpose. But there is only one pole with which Stonehenge clearly correlates, and that is pole IV. That is why we have researched the entire constellation based on pole IV. What we found was beyond anything we expected.
It is certainly legitimate to say that if the reorientation of the symmetry axis to another very ancient pole leads to a more credible explanation as to how the monument once worked. The whole daring idea that Stonehenge could successfully be re-oriented to the ancient Pole IV, and is therefore very old, suddenly does not sound so outrageous anymore. But how large are the odds that the claim might be true?
If we look at the horseshoe-shaped inner arrangement, we can easily see that there is only one way to make this part of the monument to work for these astronomical values:
- Summer solstice
- Winter solstice and
The odds for this to have happened haphazardly are insignificant. The margins for the Sun to shine through the slits of A-A’ and B-B’ are incredibly narrow – only 0.05° . This 0.05° is the necessary margin to measure a solstice, down to one day.
It is absolutely amazing to realize that this narrow A-A’ and B-B’ fit is exclusively related to Pole IV. The chances that this is mere coincidence are practically nonexistent: 1 to 6.7 million or 0.0000149%. The probability that it was done deliberately: 99.999985% .
We can now confirm that Stonehenge is indeed roughly 265,000 years old with a probability of 99.999985%. This surpasses all other estimations and explanations regarding the true age and purpose of this structure.
It is challenging even for us to realize that Stonehenge could be so amazingly old. One must overcome and transcend one’s own persistent conditioning and beliefs. Most people would undoubtedly prefer to remain in denial. It is also crucial to understand that Stonehenge does NOT work any longer as was once intended. It remains merely a tourist attraction.
New Answers Also Generate New Questions
Monuments such as Stonehenge appear to last much longer than we commonly suppose. The sheer unbelievable age also raises additional questions such as: Why is it not buried in thick layers of soil? Finding new answers apparently also generates new questions.
In mathematics concerning Stonehenge, the angle of 60° (and 30°) has special properties. For example, the cosine of 60° equals ½ and the sinus of 60° equals ½√3. This solstice angle of 60° occurred only once in the history of this specific location.
The formation of the Greenland ice sheet started when the geographic pole was at position IV, at the Southern tip of Greenland. It must have been quite cold when Stonehenge was built, perhaps comparable to the middle of Scandinavia – mild Summers, cold Winters – but then the ice sheet was not very thick.
Full Explanation of the Purpose of Stonehenge
© 2017-2018 by Mario Buildreps
Proofreading and editing: Juergen & Peter Buche
: There could be doubt regarding the angle of 0.05°, and that is fully understandable, considering it is indeed amazingly narrow. When looked at from the middle of A’ towards A, or from B’ towards B, or vice versa (sunset), one can distinguish subtleties within a range of 0.05°.
: Our probability calculations are based on: (1) matching symmetry with Pole IV; (2) matching arrangement of 5 trilithons + 1 heel stone with solstice angles and the equinox; (3) the matching distance from Stonehenge to the center of Pole IV within a range of 38.8 degrees; (4) the narrow slit of the 4 solstice trilithons to create a “one day” accurately within the configuration (1) to (3); (5) the only configuration to get the horseshoe to work for both solstices and the equinox. The odds are 100% that something like this was done by design and is therefore true.